Do you have flickering lights in your house? High bills and damaged appliances can all be a sign of electrical problems on your home circuit. Recognizing these early warning signs can help you protect your family, prevent malfunctions and decrease the risk of fires in your home.
Here are some common signs that will help you find electrical problems in your house and prevent damages.
- Dimmed or flickering lights
Light fixtures draw a small amount of power. So, dimming or flickering is rarely caused by a problem with the fixture itself. More likely the issue is with major appliances that are wired to the same circuit. So, consult an electrician and move lights to a different circuit.
- Odd odours
If you smell something odd from any electrical outlet, immediately turn it off and unplug anything connected to it. Don’t use it again until you’ve had a qualified electrician to check it out. If your fuse box has a weird odour, don’t wait. Call an electrician right away.
This is not a good sign. How you deal with it depends on where it’s coming from. If it’s from a breaker panel, fuse box or outlet, get an electrician in ASAP. But if it’s from an appliance then the fixture itself is damaged and in this case, you should call an appliance repairperson.
- Frequently Tripped Breakers
Circuit breakers are designed to fail to prevent overloading of power. If any appliance routinely trips a breaker regardless of where you plug it in, the appliance is the likely culprit. But if using a single outlet causes you to blow the same fuse repeatedly, this means the circuit is probably overloaded. Call in a pro to discuss the matter.
Have you heard electricity? What does electricity sound like? Generally, electricity flows smoothly and quietly between connections when things are working properly. But when it’s not, the current starts to jump, producing a buzzing sound in the process. If you’re sure a sound is developing from an outlet, stop using it and call an electrician.
Don’t ignore any of these signs. Have your home inspected by a certified professional electrician immediately at the first signs of faulty electrical system. Electrical burns, shocks, and fires create a serious hazard and should never be ignored.