Electricity plays a huge part in our lives. Electrical safety is something everyone should be aware of, including children. Knowing how to use electricity and electrical appliance safety can reduce the risk of harm or fault occurring due to improper use.

Electricity can be dangerous when misused and can pose a massive risk to your safety at home; faulty electrics cause around a quarter of fires in the house. From having regular electrical inspections from your local Plymouth electrician to knowing the signs of faulty electrics, this post looks at ways to improve your home’s electrical safety.

What are the Dangers of Electricity?

There are many dangers of unsafe electrics, and you should never attempt to fix faulty or dangerous electrics yourself. This risk of this includes;

●     Shocks

If you touch an exposed wire still in contact with a live wire, you can expect an electrical shock. Electrical shocks can cause burns, amnesia, respiratory arrest, or death.

●     Dampness

When electrical wires or cables become wet or damp, the exposed wiring can be fatal as the wet live conductor is highly hazardous to everyone

●     Power Surge

Spikes in electricity can damage sensitive household appliances. An increased current can damage electrical items and wiring or even cause a fire.

●     Overloading Sockets

Overloading sockets can lead to overheating, which can cause fires that can destroy your home and your belongings and become a danger to life.

What are the Signs of Faulty Electrics?

To ensure complete electrical safety, you should be aware of the signs of faulty electrics to call for a Plymouth electrician immediately before any further damage is caused. Signs of damage to your electricity can include;

  • Dimming or flickering lights
  • Walls that are warm to the touch around electrical wires
  • Buzzing, hissing sounds
  • Sparks from sockets
  • Charred or discolored outlets or switches
  • Fuses that go out regularly
  • An unexplained burning smell
  • Outlets that are hot to the touch

If you notice any of these signs, contact an electrician immediately and isolate the electrical supply if it is safe to do so.

Electrics and Water Do Not Mix

You should never mix electricity and water if you didn’t already know. You should never use electricity in or around water, including handling electrical items with wet hands. Avoid plugging things into sockets with wet hands or using electrical items in the bathroom.